Prior to 1894 cottage services had been held at Trevone for some time, and in March of that year Mr. C.G. Prideaux-Brune presented the parish with a Mission Church to be erected on his land at Trevone. The Mission Church was opened on Wednesday, May 9th 1894.
This building served Trevone for 65 years and was built at the end of the church path to Padstow. It was stoutly built of wood, roofed with wood covered with lead. It was made by Mr. Samuel Honey Henwood’s wheelwright’s shop in New Street, Padstow by Mr. John Henwood.
The Dedication of the Mission Church to THE HOLY REDEEMER in the name of St. SAVIOUR’S was to perpetuate the dedication of one of the ancient chapels in the parish. It stood high up on St. Saviour’s point, a landmark to remind those sailing in from the Atlantic Ocean, that they had reached a sheltered harbour. and were safe home at last. The chapel has now perished but the headland still carries the name.
When the land on the Homer Park site was acquired it was vested in the Church Commissioners on condition that it was used to build a new church, the dedication of which would be St. Saviour’s.
THE NEW CHURCH
It was at a meeting held on July 4th, 1956 that it was decided to strive to build a small permanent church on the Homer Park site .
At a meeting on May 21st, 1957 Mr. Peter Falcolner, F.R.I.B.A. of Ellery, Anderson, Roiser and Falcolner of Stroud, Gloucestershire, was appointed architect for the scheme.
On Wednesday, 30th April 1958 the Bishop of Truro, Bp. Edmund Robert Morgan, laid the foundation stone for the new church and it was dedicated by the bishop on Saturday, May 2nd 1959. The vicar was Revd. B. B. Clarke and the newly appointed chapel wardens were Mr. E. H. L. Olivey and Mr. K. W. M. Bawden.
The total cost of the church and furnishings was £10, 852!
The first Sunday service was Mattins at 11.0.0.a.m. on May 3rd, 1959 and was conducted by Revd. Prebendary Arthur Longden, Rector of St. Breoke.
Exterior Walls – The stone used is a fine textured sandstone from the local Middle Devonian. It was quarried at Tredinnick on S. Columb Downs. It is highly ferruginous and on weathering the iron works outwards to give a very hard casing which is it hoped will stand up well to the weather of this coast.
- The roof is a well cleaved slate from the Upper Devonian at Delabole. The floor, window sills, terrace and steps together with the stones surrounding the West Window (depicting “The Stilling of the Storm”) and the two small windows beneath are slightly cleaved slate also from Delabole.
- There is a Foundation stone at west end to the south of the main church door. It reads: “+ Edmund ninth Bishop of Truro laid this stone on the 30th April, 1958″ . It is of dark grey uncleaved slate from the Tremadoc slates at Portmadoc, the highest beds of the Cambrian of the Harlech dome in North Wales. Buried beneath the stone is a daily newspaper, coins of the realm, a bible and a 1662 Prayer Book.
The exterior Notice Board is also of slate from Tremadoc slates at Portmadoc.
- The Mullions of the windows and the stone surround of the East Window (depicting “The Good Shepherd”) are green basalt from North Wales. This also has been crushed and made into the shapes required
- The Chancel arch is of intrusive greens tone from the Cataclews quarry at Harlyn Bay. This intriguing grey stone reflects almost every colour from some of its rock faces. It is quite uncut and the surfaces are those of the natural joints, where necessary hammer trimmed.
- The church originally had a fibreglass spire with a bell fitted. The original bell of 1959 was re-cast by John Taylor of Loughborough in 1971. The spire and bell were removed in 1985 when the spire succumbed to the Atlantic weather and the open porch with a Delebole Slate cross was erected at the West end in the same year.
- The Bell was re-hung in 2004 at the East end (to protect it from the harsh weather) with electric tolling mechanism. It was rung for the first time on Palm Sunday. It was lovely to hear it ring out again after a silence of 20 years.
Interior steps and floors – Made of Delabole Slate.
The Font is a Jurassic limestone from the Inferior Oolite series of Doulting in Somerset. The stone has been crushed and re-cemented into the larger block required. Carved panels depict a ship; lily; dove; flower. The cover is in oak.
The Pews and prayer desks The 22 oak Pews were made by John Williams Ltd., St. Austell. They bear the arms of the Provinces of the Anglican Communion arranged in the Church as they are set in the world. The pair of oak prayer desks with seats continue the theme with one bearing the arms of the Province of York and the other bearing the arms of St. David, Wales.
The Altar, in oak with 5 consecration crosses was made by John Williams of St. Austell and given by Mrs. A.H.B. Sargent.
The Altar rail kneelers Worked as a Millennium project, the new kneeler set was designed by Joan Nunn and was worked by Canon Malcolm Byrom, Angela Dumbreck, Sue Hollingsworth, Marjorie Howard, Joan Pryor, Jan Stock and Sheila Whitehead. The final making up of the set of kneelers was done by Tom Holegate, upholsterer in Wadebridge. The set was dedicated on Sunday June 8th, 2003.
The Piscina (on the north wall of the sanctuary) was given by Mrs. Baker in memory of Shirley Deacon. The dark grey uncleaved slate used is from the Tremadoc slates at Portmadoc. It measures 40″ high x 22″ wide x 10″ deep.
The Pulpit was given by Mrs. W. G. Woodman and, like the chancel arch, is made of intrusive greenstones from the Cataclews quarry at Harlyn Bay.
The oak Lectern was made to revolve and to hold two volumes. Given by Mr. and Mrs. W. Liddell and Mr. and Mrs. Williamson.
The Organ is housed on the West Gallery. It was the only instrument of its kind in Cornwall with a “Solid State” when installed in 1970 at a cost of £1,525. It is a 2 manual unit organ specially designed for Trevone Church with electric action throughout and equipped with a British Organ Blower. It was built by Messrs. M. W. Eglinton, of Celtuce and has the following:
Great Organ Open Diapason 8ft; Stopped Diapason 8ft; Dulciana 8ft; Principal 4ft; Twelfth 2bft; Fifteenth 2ft.
Positive Organ Howl Flute 8ft; Dulciana 8ft; Flute 4ft; Hazard 2bft; Dulcetina 2ft;
Pedal Organ Subbass 16ft; Octave 8ft; Fifteenth 4ft.
Couplers for Positive to Great; Positive to Pedals; Great to Pedals.
Three pistons to the Great Organ.
Three pistons to the Positive Organ.
The manual compass is CC to C, 61 notes and the pedals are CCC to F, 30 notes.
The instrument had major work in 1989 costing £1,500 and was re-built in December 2001 following water damage at a cost of £3100.00 less insurance payment of £1,000
Hymn numbers – An item of special interest is the way in which the hymn numbers are displayed. The numbers, made of wood, hang on individual nails to provide the hymn number. Therefore, no Hymn-board is required. They were especially designed for St. Saviour’s by the architect, Peter Falcolner.