An extract from: Pevsner, N and Radcliffe E The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition, 1970.
Parish Church, dedicated to St Issey. Circa C14 and C15 arcades although the church was largely rebuilt in 1870-71 by J.P. St Aubyn. Stone rubble. Slate roofs; nave and chancel in one with lean-to roofs to north and south aisles. Plan: Nave, chancel, west tower and north and south aisles. Circa C14 3-bay arcade to north aisle and circa C15 5-bay arcade to south aisle. In 1869 the west tower collapsed with part of the nave and in 1870-71 the tower was rebuilt and the church restored. Exterior: West tower of 3 stages with battlemented parapet and corner turrets. Stair turret on north face. Reset circa C15 Catacleuse stone arch to west door with C19 Perpendicular west window and a reset circa C15 belfry lights. North and south aisles have C19 tracery and the south porch was rebuilt in the C19 with the arch to the south entrance reset. Interior: C19 arch braced roof to nave and chancel with lean-to roofs to aisles. The chancel roof is ornately stencilled. Circa C14 3-bay north arcade, the piers comprising a cluster of 4 shafts with 4 demi-shafts. Circa C15 5-bay south arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers. C19 furnishings. Font; granite round bowl supported on central shaft with 4 renewed attached columns at corners and square base. The church contains a fine circa late C14 carved Catacleuse stone panel reused as a reredos and a circa late C14 carved Pieta at the east end of the south aisle. Both of these carved pieces may originally have been part of a monument or tomb. Also fine carved bowl to Holy water stoup. The stencilled decoration of the chancel is also of particularly fine quality and is signed ‘Whatley, Frome, Somerset. 1882’ and ‘Fred James, Frome, Somerset. 1882; Restored in the 1980s. The stencilling covers the walls, organ and roof and has been directly applied to the granite piers of the east end of the south arcade.